Organizational BackgroundThe Covington-Tipton County Chamber of Commerce is the premier regional organization addressing the business community needs. Comprised of more than 260 members, the Chamber proudly serves the Covington-Tipton County communities.
Our MissionThe Covington-Tipton County Chamber of Commerce unites and energizes the business community to improve Members’ success by shaping public policy, providing networking, supporting educational opportunities, and encouraging business and community development, as well as tourism development.
PositionThe Membership Services Director is responsible for the sales of new memberships within The Covington-Tipton County Chamber of Commerce as well as retention of existing members. This position also requires bookkeeping knowledge and experience. Under the direction of the Executive Director, this position implements strategic direction for the Organization’s growth within the membership area. The Membership Services Director will be involved in the annual planning and implementing of Chamber membership growth, and retention programs through businesses services tailored to the existing needs of the local business community. The position reports directly to the Chamber’s Executive Director.
- Contact, acquire and sell new Chamber memberships to businesses and organizations located throughout Tipton County and the surrounding region
- Schedule appointments and personal visits with prospective companies
- Works directly with the Executive director to implement and use internal system of accounting for financial transactions by using established chart of accounts; following established bookkeeping policies and procedures and verifying records with Chamber CPA periodically.
- Maintains subsidiary accounts by verifying, allocating, and posting transactions.
- Balances subsidiary accounts by reconciling entries.
- Maintains general ledger by transferring subsidiary account summaries.
- Balances general ledger by preparing a trial balance; reconciling entries.
- Maintains historical records by filing documents.
- Prepares financial reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing account information and trends.
- Achieve budgeted revenue goals
- Ensure all sales processes are integrated and strategic, support strategic plan objectives, create brand position, adhere to brand standards and an effective expenditures of resources
- Develop objectives and research-based strategies for prospecting businesses
- Develop research-based strategies for partnerships and the development of marketing for sponsorship programs and opportunities
- Provide sales skills and expertise to the Chamber’s staff and volunteers by building, developing, leading and managing various teams capable of carrying out the necessary and expected sales strategies and goals
- Maintain accurate statistics and data on return on investment of programs and Chamber efforts, for regular reporting and analysis of Chamber’s growth plan and associated activities and program
- Cultivate and maintain an effective knowledge of all Chamber programs, services, initiatives and activities to educate Members on all that is available to them for maximum return on their membership investment
- Closely monitor industry trends and local issues impacting the Chamber’s membership sales efforts
- Actively support and participate in Chamber events and programs
- Works renewal accounts and targeted major accounts as assigned
- Assists Chamber members in taking full advantage of their membership including participation (attendance and volunteerism) and retention in the Chamber
- Staff liaison to various community-based volunteer committees and task forces
- Represents the Chamber in a professional manner
- Perform other job duties as assigned by the President of the
Knowledge, Experience, and Education Required
- Bachelor's degree in marketing, journalism, communications, business, or related field
- Minimum of two years of experience in sales/marketing positions with preference to experience working in the chamber of commerce/business association management industry
- Must have prior bookkeeping experience. Quickbooks experience highly preferred
- In-depth knowledge of sales functions and customer service oriented principles
- Strong interpersonal skills to effectively cultivate relationships with prospects, members, volunteers and community stakeholders
- Experience and success in developing compelling written, oral and visual presentation materials
- Ability to assess marketing opportunities and develop strategic plans to reach targeted audiences
- Ability to organize, plan and prioritize workload involving multiple projects at one time
- Ability to think creatively and innovatively as well as provide solutions
- Ability to communicate effectively to diverse audiences
- Strategic, critical thinking and problem solving abilities
- Strong ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Results-oriented and willingness to be accountable for measurable goals
- Ability to prospect/cold-call new businesses and to upgrade and sell major accounts
- Capable of maintaining sensitive/confidential information
- Must be a team player that works well in fast-paced, changing environment
- Must have the ability to foster the values of member relations and quality assurance in customer service
- Proficient in Microsoft Office programs including Outlook, Excel and Word and Publisher
- Knowledge and understanding of the business community in the Tipton County region
- Must have/maintain a dependable vehicle with proof of license and insurance
Physical DemandsWhile performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to sit at a desk and computer for long periods of time, is occasionally required to stand; use hands to finger, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch and/or crawl. May be requested to lift materials of up to 35 lbs. Specific vision abilities required include reading computer screen and written documents; close vision, color vision and ability to adjust focus. Communicate via verbal, audible and written means.
Work EnvironmentMajority of duties will be performed in and from the Chamber’s office in Covington during regular business hours. Some travel and work off-site will be required in performing the member recruitment and retention duties, as well as occasional work on evenings, weekends and/or holidays.
Time CommitmentA minimum average time commitment may exceed 40 hours per week in order to fulfill the duties required of this exempt position.
Compensation and Employee BenefitsSalary is commensurate with experience. Other benefits include an incentive bonus for meeting annual membership goals, paid holidays, Christmas Bonus, personal time off policy, reimbursement of business travel, professional development and training. The Chamber strives to provide compensation at market rates when compared to like organizations.
Reasonable AccommodationIt is the policy of the CTC Chamber to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with a disability who are applicants for employment or employees to perform the essential functions of the job. The Chamber is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Cover letter, resume and salary requirements should be submitted to:
Lauren Fletcher, Executive Director
Covington-Tipton Co Chamber of Commerce
106 W. Liberty Ave
Covington, TN 38019
Position will remain open until the final candidate is selected.
No phone calls please.